Today was yet another fun-filled photo shoot at the South Carolina Federal Credit Union! I always enjoy working with this great company.
A photographer friend of mine asked about my setup. So here’s a behind-the-scenes look at my portable wireless head-shot studio, along with a few selects from today:
– Nikon D5 + Nikkor 70-200 f2.8 VRII
– Nikon SB-5000 on camera as Master with RadioPopper PX transmitter
– 2 Nikon SB-800 flashes in Group A with white shoot-through umbrella as main light
– 2 Nikon SB-800 flashes in Group B with white shoot-through umbrella as fill light
– 2 Nikon SB-800 flashes in Group C as background lights for a high-key white background
– Radio Popper PX receivers on each remote flash
– Lenovo Yoga 900 Laptop set up for wired or wireless tethered shooting
– Twist flex photo background
– Manfrotto 055CXPro4 Carbon Fiber tripod
– 5 Manfrotto 1004 BAC Collapsible light-stands
– ThinkTank Airport TakeOff for all photo gear
– Manfrotto large tripod bag for all lighting gear
There are many variations on this theme that one could adapt. For example, I often swap out the umbrellas for Westcott soft-boxes. The number of flashes I use will often vary depending on the background or the subject. But I’ve tried a TON of different options and there are many reasons why these particular items have become a part of my go-to kit when it comes to portability, flexibility, and quality.